KENNEDALE, TEXAS. Kennedale is on State Highway 496 ten miles southeast of Fort Worth in southeastern Tarrant County. The area was settled during the 1860s or 1870s at the site of a mineral-water well. A post office opened in 1884. The townsite was surveyed in 1886 and named for Oliver S. Kennedy, who platted it and, in an effort to induce rail construction through the community, donated every other lot to the Southern Pacific Railroad. The rail line eventually built a station and section house in Kennedale. The local school enrolled 108 students and employed one teacher in the 1896–97 term. By 1904 Kennedale had a population of 216 and a two-teacher school, which registered ninety-one students. In 1926 the community had a population of 312 and ten businesses. The development of the defense industry in Fort Worth beginning in the 1940s provided new jobs for area residents and encouraged growth in the county. In the late 1940s Kennedale had a population of 325 and eight businesses; by 1955 it had 1,046 residents and twenty businesses. In 1965 it had a population of 1,800, in 1975 it had 2,900 residents and seventy businesses, and in 1990 the population was 4,096. In 1991 Kennedale had eighty-three businesses. The population was listed as 5,850 in 2000.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,850 people, 2,141 households, and 1,616 families residing in the city. The population density was 968.5 people per square mile (374.0/km2). There were 2,241 housing units at an average density of 371.0 per square mile (143.3/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 88.51% White, 3.45% African American, 0.75% Native American, 0.97% Asian, 4.29% from other races, and 2.02% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.91% of the population.
There were 2,141 households out of which 40.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.2% were married couples living together, 12.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.5% were non-families. 19.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.71 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the city, the population was spread out with 28.6% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 32.5% from 25 to 44, 21.5% from 45 to 64, and 8.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 96.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $49,091, and the median income for a family was $53,901. Males had a median income of $43,182 versus $25,508 for females. The per capita income for the city was $24,323. About 4.9% of families and 6.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.5% of those under age 18 and 12.4% of those age 65 or over.
The area where Kennedale is located has been inhabited since the 1860s. The site was chosen because of its proximity to a mineral water well. The area was eventually purchased by Oliver S. Kennedy, John D. Hudson and C.B. Teague. A post office was established in 1884. In 1886, the region was surveyed and named after Oliver S. Kennedy, a local attorney who donated a number of plots to the Southern Pacific Railroad to encourage them to build a railroad through the city. Kennedale prospered after the defense industry developed in Forth Worth. The city was incorporated in 1947.
Kennedale and Nearby Attractions
Things To Do In Kennedale
The Fort Worth Museum of Science and History houses planetariums and exhibits about local history, science, fossils, and dinosaurs. The Sid Richardson Collection of Western Art that displays the painting of Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell is close to the city. The Log Cabin Village, which has artifacts dating back to the nineteenth century, is also accessible from the city. Davy Crockett’s second wife’s burial place at Acton State Historic Site is near Kennedale. Camping, boating, and picnicking opportunities are available at the nearby 1,826 acre Cedar Hill State Park located on Joe Pool Reservoir.
Have A Question?